Satellite
  • Day 151

    Drive to Golden Bay

    June 9, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 10 °C

    Started the day with scrambled eggs with left over potatoes and vegetables all fried up in the pan. We checked out off the barn around 10am. We enjoyed our stay here in the Abel Tasman.

    First we drove to Split Apple Rock, an unusual rock formation that looks like an apple that has neatly been sliced in half. We walked down a track through native trees to get down to the beach. The water was so clear and the sand very golden. We came across a small cave where I took the first picture from. The split apple rock is made of granite and is estimated to be 120 million years old. You can see the split of the rock in the second picture.

    After this we drove on. We stopped at a Lookout point called Hawkes Lookout. We could see some snow capped mountains. You could see Riwaka Valley and out to Motueka and the coast.

    We drove down lots of windy roads. I was starting to feel a little car sick, but the views were breathtaking along the way. We came across another Lookout called Harwood in Upper Takaka overlooking the mountains.

    Next we checked in to the hostel Barefoot backpackers in Takaka, in Golden Bay. We made some sandwiches and then headed out to Waikoropupa Springs walk. We walked through native trees and across bridges over rivers to get to the springs. The walk was beautiful. When we got there I couldn't believe how clear the water was. I read afterwards that Te Waikoropupū Springs are the largest freshwater springs in New Zealand, the largest cold water springs in the Southern Hemisphere and contain some of the clearest water ever measured.

    We then went to Labrynth rocks which is a natural formation of ancient rocks. We walked through a maze like pathway between the rocks and native trees. We got a bit lost a few times coming across dead ends. The path was truly a labyrinth with paths winding through the rocks. There were many side paths that we all couldn't resist exploring. We made it out in the end. Kyra took a video for her vlog which will be funny to watch. There were little toys scattered everywhere a good idea for little children.

    In the evening we went out for a meal at root bar. I had a large beef burger and chips and a cider. It was a delicious meal.
    Read more