Satellite
  • Day 4

    Clovelly

    December 26, 2019 in England ⋅ 🌧 9 °C

    Visit to a beautiful seaside village with a sea wall and a pub perched on the wall and a tiny village scattered back up the steep ascent.

    Clovelly is a small village in the Torridge district of Devon, England. It has a harbour and is notable for its steep pedestrianised cobbled main street, donkeys and views over the Bristol Channel.

    Unusually, the village is still privately owned and has been associated with only three families since the middle of the 13th century, nearly 800 years. The estate is run by the Clovelly Estate Company, led by the Hon. John Rous, a descendant of the Hamlyn family who have owned the village, estate and manor house Clovelly Court since 1738. John Rous is the eldest son of Keith Rous, the 5th Earl of Stradbroke and Mary Asquith, granddaughter of former Prime Minister H. H. Asquith, 1st Earl of Oxford and Asquith. The scenery has been captured by artists for its richness of colour, especially in the separately accessed and separated Clovelly Court and along The Hobby, a road cut through the woods and overlooking the sea. The South West Coast Path National Trail runs from the top of the village and the section from Clovelly to Hartland Quay is particularly spectacular.
    Read more