Satellite
Show on map
  • The Alps

    October 24, 2021 in Switzerland ⋅ ⛅ 52 °F

    It was a beautiful clear crisp fall morning when we left Interlaken. Destination Lake Bled, Slovenia with a one night stop on the way. Did I mention the fall colors. WoW! We traversed the Alps for hours and hours. Every turn on the road brought another beautiful picture postcard into view. It would never get old in my opinion. If I am not mistaken we got up to over 9,000 feet above sea level.
    I think we went up and down on serious elevations three times the first day. And one descent was a true nail biter. Outside lane with thousand feet drop off at the edge, no barrier and switchback after switchback. I have told a few people that this drive was better than Yellowstone with the exception of the wildlife. Unlike Yellowstone, all we saw was signs for deer but none were actually sighted.
    We rested in a small town up in the Alps, just over the Austrian border called Nauders. Cosy little spot with one open restaurant where we had Pizza and rested for the next leg of the journey.

    The next day we grabbed breakfast before our continued descent. Bled was the destination and no other plans until one of the guests at our accomodation told us about the town of Merano which is in Italy and where a third of the population speak German because it is so close to Austria. This was a nice find. Have to say that I would like to get back there and stay a while. Wanted to get to Bled before dark so hung around for an hour or so. Had a glass of wine and strolled along the river that seemed to wind its way through the middle of town. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g187860-Mer…

    Back in the car and off to Bled. We checked in to another great find by Caroline. Best Co-pilot ever. (CE: awwww ❤️❤️) We went out for dinner to a spot that Jack and Ally recommended. Slovenian Food. Yummy but very rich. Needed a walk after. Lamb shank and smoked trout.
    Lake Bled is about 3km to walk around which we did the next morning.

    While at breakfast before the walk I thought I would seek more info about the hotel we were staying in as it has a majestic feel to it. As it so happened, Tito loved Lake Bled and liked to stay there during the summers and so built a summer residence. This was now our hotel. The rooms were massive. https://www.bled.si/en/accommodation/list-of-ac…
    Next stop Croatia.
    Read more