Satellite
  • Day 11

    Cu Chi Tunnels

    December 26, 2018 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Boat docked at the port of Phu My, took a tour to Cu Chi tunnels.

    The tour focused on the ingenuity and resilience of the Vietnamese fighters who both lived and fought from underground tunnels. Originally constructed as a means to fight against the French by the Viet Minh, the tunnels were later expanded up to 36 feet below ground in hard soil using only rudimentary tools. Most tunnels were only 2 – 2½ feet wide and 4½ feet tall, with thick roofs capable of withstanding the weight of tanks or the impact of bombs.

    Watched a short video that traces the history of the tunnels, their origins, construction and design. Then, a military guide explained, with the use of dioramas, the underground network.

    Saw some of the tools and weapons used by the guerrilla fighters. Much of the tunnel complex has been opened and ventilated so was easier experience the underground meeting rooms, kitchens, hospital and sleeping areas.

    I was not adventurous and agile enough to experience an unlit passage, which has not been enlarged. Learnt about the ingenious methods Vietnamese soldiers employed to remain undetected and frustrate their enemies.

    Lunch was served in an open pavilion by the river and was lovely.

    In the parking area, there was a display of some military paraphernalia, including a captured American helicopter.

    On the way back to the ship have a toilet break at a souvenir shop and was able to pick up the bargain of the tour, 2 t-shirts for $7 USD.
    Read more