Satellite
  • Day 137

    Another spot on the Fitzroy River

    August 27, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    After spending one night at Sawfish Point we moved about 15ks back down the river and set up camp for two nights. Dave put a big catfish as bait in an opera net that we had found in the hopes of attracting some Cherabin. No such luck, however when Tristan pulled it up the following morning it had been destroyed by a crocodile. We also found a big crocodile slide up the bank near the boys fishing spot. We worked out that it had come up to retrieve another discarded catfish left on the bank. We left a lot of chook pellet piles around but but only managed to catch one little one not much bigger than a king prawn.
    Dave went kayaking for a while and caught a Barramundi big enough for us all to have some as a pre dinner snack. He cooked it in the Weber in alfoil, it was delicious, and 4 year old Abby absolutely loved it. She's an adorable little girl who has her own fishing rod and actually caught her first fish yesterday, she was so excited, and then went on to catch another 3. All small and thrown back.
    Dave and Tristan have spent hours fishing here, kicking back in their seats down by the water and catching a number of different species, including a Sawtooth Shark, nothing worth keeping, but having a lot of fun together. They've been staying up doing night fishing and Cherabin hunting while we girls go off to bed. Tristan even hooked a crocodile last night!!!!!
    An aboriginal family came in on a day visit yesterday and were very friendly. They were looking for Cherabin as well, and had a couple of cast nets. They were brilliant at throwing those nets perfectly, so Tristan asked the oldest man, whose name we didn't catch, if he would teach him to cast like they were doing. After a couple of lessons he's turned into a pro!!

    The Hali's have gone off to Broome today on their way towards home. We've had an awesome time with them and thoroughly enjoyed their company. Thanks you guys. Xxxx
    Read more