Satellite
  • Day 3

    Golf and more

    October 14, 2019 in Cook Islands ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    On Monday evening we strolled along the beach to Charlies a lively beach bar and had junk food burgers, chips beer and wine, lovely. Good atmosphere looking out over the sea and listening to the music.
    Tuesday I’d decided that I must take the opportunity to play at Rarotonga golf club which is close to the airport. So myself and caddy (Jane) took a taxi for the 15 minute ride. Unsurprisingly the course was fairly quiet. I had brought my shoes and glove but rented clubs - not the best but hey! It is a nine hole course with the main obstacles being the pylons scattered around. It was an interesting course, not likely to feature on either the PGA or European tour any time soon but I enjoyed it, though my caddy gave up after 5 holes!
    Went back to the hotel hopped on the bikes again to go to the Mooring cafe for their legendary fish sandwiches which were superb and in a lovely setting.
    Spent the remainder of the afternoon on the beach swimming and snorkelling.
    In the evening we had booked dinner at the OTB restaurant who collected us from the hotel and delivered us back. We went with a couple from NZ who were good fun giving us a few tips for when we are in NZ. There was of course a bit of banter on the potential for England v All Blacks in the rugby World Cup and England beating NZ in the cricket. Tomorrow, Wednesday, we leave Rarotonga and take a 45 minute flight to another of the Cook Islands where we are staying for three nights.
    Rarotonga is beautiful just as would imagine an island in the South Pacific to be, blue skies, amazing colour of the sea which is crystal clear. There are neither snakes or spiders on the island but dozens of churches for whom the congregations are dwindling.
    Talking to our taxi driver yesterday they are being affected by global warming. For many years on New Years Day a horse race would be held on Muri beach and six lanes would be created; now there is barely room for one. This happened over the past 50 years.
    Read more