Satellite
  • Day 27

    Queenstown and another camera issue!

    November 7, 2019 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Woke up to another good weather day and so set off to retrace our steps back to Queenstown.
    En route we stopped at Jacks Point golf club. Janet and John were hugely impressed when they played here so before leaving the UK I booked a tee time for this Saturday but at the moment the weather forecast is not so good for Saturday hence the decision to call in on a fine day. It certainly looks good so fingers crossed! Whilst there we saw a group of paragliders just near the course.
    Arrived at our small hotel in Queenstown and we are about a five minute walk into town. Now Queenstown markets itself as the adventure and adrenalin rush capital of NZ and probably even further. Here you can bungee jump, zip wire, paragliding, loads of stuff on the lake, hiking, climbing and of course golf and because of all this activity it attracts a lot of youngsters and a multitude of bars and restaurants. Our first impression is of a great and vibrant town and we shall enjoy our stay here.
    This afternoon we took the steamship TSS Earnslaw for a trip across the lake. She was built in 1912, same year as the Titanic, and is a big tourist attraction here and rightly so for the views of the lake and country around it were brilliant. When we got off the boat it was happy hour in most of the bars, so it would be rude not to ...
    Whilst walking back to our hotel a young person rode their bike down several flights of stairs at great speed into the town and just stopped in time. Adventure Capital......
    Did I mention the camera? Yesterday at Doubtful Sound we asked a fellow traveller to take a photo of us. He was struggling a bit with the controls so I helped him and in so doing between us we dropped the camera. I was able to take a couple more shots but realised that all was not well so thought we would get it checked out when we got to Queenstown. Found a camera shop and you know when you take your car in for repair and there is a sharp intake of breath and blowing of cheeks? Well this is what we had. I think the expression is, beyond economical repair. Fortunately every day I always download photos on to my iPad just in case. We shall be in Hong Kong at the end of next week so may take the opportunity of looking for a replacement camera there.
    Had an excellent Vietnamese meal this evening and lengthy conversation with the couple at our next table. They were Indian who had moved from Calcutta eleven years ago to Dunedin where they are real estate agents. He was passionate about cricket and plays at a good level. A good night.
    Apologies no photos, will try again tomorrow.
    Read more