Satellite
  • Day 41

    Exploring South Goa by bike

    February 15, 2020 in India ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    We woke up after having an amazing sleep in these beds, got ready and asked the owner of the hostel to arrange our mopeds for the day. He led us to a restaurant not far from the hostel where a man was waiting outside stood next to an old moped that looked like it was falling apart....I’m guessing that’s why we got it for 300 instead of 400 as the guy next door was trying to charge us. I put the helmet on (that had a hole in it and half a visor) and Tom got on the back and we drove off...where we soon realised that the speedometer or fuel gauge did not work either! It took me a little while to get used to driving the moped after driving a Tuktuk for a month but I got used to it pretty quickly.

    We drove to Cabo de Rama, an old Portuguese fort 24km from our hostel. We arrived and there was a wedding or funeral taking place so we didn’t see the church but we climbed the old walls of the fort which weren’t very well maintained but pretty cool. We sat on the walls enjoying the coastal view and we saw a beach in the distance that looked really nice, so decided to check that out next. So we found the beach on the map, jumped back on our moped and made our way in that direction. We had to drive across really rough terrain to get to the “parking area” where we dumped our bike to walk to the short trail down to the beach. At the top of the trail you could see down onto the beach and it was glorious! Possibly one of the nicest beaches I had ever seen. Gorgeous white sand, clear blue water, surrounded by palm trees and best thing being there were no people there! We walked down and enjoyed this little bit of paradise for a while, and I mean it was paradise.

    1 o’clock came around very quickly. We had enjoyed this beach for a few hours now and as much as we didn’t want to leave we also wanted to check out some other places. So we got back on our moped and drove to Agonda beach where we ate lunch at a cute little restaurant, Tom had the veg noodles and I had the veg rice. We then went for a stroll along Agonda beach, a nice beach but pretty busy comped to the beach this morning. We dumped our stuff on the beach and enjoyed the beautiful water for a while, we even tested each other to see how long we could hold our breath underwater... the answer is roughly over a minute! Then we decided to check out another beach called Butterfly beach, however the roads we awful and we were running out of time before sunset so we decided to skip Butterfly beach and head to Talpona beach, about a 16km drive... we got there and again played some stupid games in the sea, we even had a running race on the beach, with an audience of course (as you couldn’t do anything in India without an audience). We played around in the water whilst the sun was setting and I tried to get a silly picture of Tom jumping out the water with the sunset in the background....he jumped up and as he was midair the wave beneath him disappeared meaning the drop was actually much further down, *SPLAT*. Tom had completely backslapped the water! Ouch! It was however a gorgeous sunset and a good Instagram picture.

    What we didn’t consider however, was that once the sun had set we wouldn’t be able to dry off and we would have to drive back to the hostel in the dark and both freezing cold...DUH! We eventually got back and thought we would have a nice shower to warm ourselves up...but the water at the hostel wasn’t working so we had to have a bucket shower, which was far from pleasant! For dinner tonight we decided to just go to the Nepalese place again (our logic was when you find somewhere good in India that didn’t make you sick just keep going there, as reducing the number of places you eat at reduced your chances of getting food poisoning). The food was just as good as the previous night, and after dinner tonight we both got a ginger, lemon and honey tea to wash it down with. However, as the guy was preparing it a weird guy came off the street chatting to him...the guy making our tea was obviously used to this guy, presumably the local psycho, so didn’t take much notice of him at all. However, Tom and I certainly noticed him, especially when he picked up one of our teas and gave it a huge sniff! We were joking about who would get that tea, both of us keeping our eyes on which one he had touched but the waiter took them both back to the kitchen to add something else...so we will never know who drank the one that the man sniffed. Oh well, it was delicious! We made our way back to the hostel where we wanted to get some good rest in these amazing beds!
    Read more