Satellite
  • Day 18

    Machu Picchu twice!

    April 10, 2018 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Stayed at Aguas Caliente - a town that’s really nothig to write home about - and managed to visit Machu Picchu twice. First time was in the afternoon and there was nothing else to do. So I decided to fork out an additional 24 soles and something like 80USD to go up to MP by bus. I went with Alistair, who’s part of the tour group. It was magical!

    We saw a double rainbow thanks to the rain! It rained most of the time we were there but so happy it did. Also, at around 4pm there were few people so we had the place almost to ourselves. Best decision ever 🌈🌈

    Next morning we went up again with the wider group. Blue skies and a different atmosphere. So many tourists! Great weather though. Our guide Marcelo brought us around and told us about the ruins. The Inca empire lasted around 100yrs before the Spanish invaded. Their irrigation system is impressive and still works very well. Around 65% of what you see at MP is the original Inka ruins. The rest has been restored.

    Ginny and Paul weren’t feeling too well the day before - had an awful hotel in aguas caliente - suffered from some form of stomache upset. So we took it easy in the afternoon. Got a train back to Ollantaytambo and sat next to PK. Then a 2 hour bus ride back to Cusco where I am now, at El Puma Hotel. Better room this time, although can hear traffic on the road.

    Tmrw got an early start again - on our way to Puno and Lake Titicaca.

    Oh! Ps Tried Alpaca steak. It was great! At a restaurant called Marcelo Batata in Cusco.
    Read more