Satellite
  • Day 9

    Sea World San Diego

    June 23, 2008 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    After the zoo today another theme park San Diego is famous for: Sea World.

    Well honestly we came all the way here to see Shamu, the rest of the attractions looked quite similar to what you get at Sea World in Gold Coast or so we thought

    We got lost again with GPS and ended up getting a bit late, well just on time to rush to the Shamu show. the "Shamu stadium" was quite big and crowded, the sun was intense and there wasn't a roof to protect us so I bought a hat with the zoo logo, good souvenir.

    A few minutes later and the show starts, amazing to see this big sea mammals in action, jumping, swimming around and posing for photos. I had read that it was best to seat at the top unless you really wanted to get soaked (well it would have been ok with the heat) and the comments were indeed true, as part of the show Shamu splashed water over the crowd with its tale.....it was a really good show.

    As one usually does on a first visit to a theme park like this our visit was governed by show times so after Shamu show we rushed to the dolphin show. The show was quite entertaining with a member of the crew acting as a dedicated parent that fooled himself many times, falling onto the water eventually and rescued by the dolphins. The dolphins also splashed water over the crowd.

    Next we went to the Pets stadium to see doogies (a bit similar to the one at Universal Studios) and then we skipped other shows and went to Wild Arctic to see Beluga Whales, Polar Bears and Walrus. The display was so good that we really felt transported to an arctic world. I did really liked the whales.

    Time to eat our pre-packed sandwich and to have fun looking at the misery in others falling rapidly down the Journey to Atlantis drop. I just wished Ximena were older so we can ride it too.

    Anyway we continued to the Penguin encounter, the Shark encounter and Manatee rescue. We needed a rest so we took Ximena to the huge Sesame street play ground (she could have easily spent all day here)

    We finished our visit with teh Forbidden reef, the flamingos and finally the cirque de la mer show, some sort of cirque du soleil but next to the ocean which gave it particular scenery and on our way out more souvenirs.
    Read more