Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Werribee open range zoo

    September 22, 2011 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Our last day in Victoria, this afternoon we were flying back to Gold Coast. We still had some time though so I had pre-booked an Open Vehicle adventure at the Werribee open range zoo.

    We were going back to Melbourne using Princess Highway in lieu of the Ocean Road considering that we had to be at the zoo at 11am. We left Warrnambool at 7:30am hopping to be at the zoo at 10:30 or so

    This road is rather boring compared to the Ocean road, it is also faster with overtaking lanes and a constant 100kph. The only two reasonable towns we passed were Camperdown and Colac, a bit of traffic on this last one. I got some petrol here for the first time since we left Melbourne.

    Arriving at Geelong we opted for the ring road this time and then 20 minutes later we made it to Werribee. A bit difficult to find the zoo due to the lack of signs but a helpful stop at the visitor centre put us back on track.

    We made it on time to the zoo, 10am so after watching the Meerkat show we were ready for our tour.
    There is no better way to get a close encounter with the wild life than the open vehicle adventure, not kidding, you get really close to zebras, giraffes, rhinos, hippos etc, etc. and the fact that you see them walking free in a vast in a natural environment, replica of their home habitat, is an unforgettable experience

    The price is quite reasonable considering that the admission ticket to the zoo is included. The guide was super professional and did his best to get us close to the animals, five starts to the zoo and the staff.

    The tour lasted 90 minutes and after that we spent the rest of the day exploring the zoo on foot.

    The trip back to Tullamarine Airport was terrible due to heavy traffic and trying to get refill the tank of the car took us forever. Next time I will pay the extra to drop the car with tank empty.

    Later in the afternoon we were back on the plane, another holiday coming to an end...........
    Read more