Satellite
  • Tiwanaku & La Paz

    May 27, 2002 in Bolivia ⋅ 🌫 10 °C

    Having worked for the last 12 month in Puno we didn't want to get back to Lima without visiting La Paz. We were on a really tight schedule otherwise we would have gone all the way to salar Uyuni.....one day. For this trip I went with my dear friend Alfa and his wife.

    3 hours South of Puno and we arrived to Desaguadero on the border Peru-Bolivia. After clearing some paperwork we crossed the international bridge into Bolivia.

    We grabbed a taxi to La Paz, equivalent to 10 Peruvian soles each for a nearly two hour trip, it sounded reasonable.

    Our first stop was the marvellous Tiwanaku complex. These temples and terraces predate the Inca Empire by some centuries. The complex was well preserved but lacked information.

    From Tiwanaku it was a bit over and hour to La Paz. The driver stopped at "El Alto" for some magnificent views of the La Paz, which is several metres below El Alto and the "Illimani" mountain, guardian of the city.

    We arrive in La Paz at 3 pm, registered in a hotel close to the San Francisco church and the Plaza Mayor. Tired after so many hours in a car we just had a rest and went for dinner.
    Read more