Satellite
  • Day 4

    Zugspitze

    August 13, 2016 in Germany ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    The day at the Zugspitz!

    The Zugspitz 2,962 m (9,718 ft) above sea level, is the highest peak of the Wetterstein Mountains as well as the highest mountain in Germany with glacier. It was kinda tricky to find the parking spot for the gondola at the mountain side of Germany. Yes, we followed the signs, but somehow we couldn't see it. Finally, there we took the gondola up the mountain, which was super pricey, and we later found out it would have been cheaper on the Austrian side. The gondola ride was ok.....and finally on top it was just amazing! Like being on top of the world!

    I have to admit the German side wasn't as pretty as the Austrian side, but that was in part due to the construction that was being done on the German side. The Austrian side was much more beautiful, and even the restaurant where we ate some sausages was so pretty but expensive! At the Austrian side, we went to a little museum on the mountain, and we saw ice crystals very close.

    After all that we went with a different gondola down to the glacier which was crazy to look at. The mountain itself is so beautiful! You also have to see the little church at the glacier side which is to die for. We also saw what the climate change has done to the glacier and it almost broke my heart. A lot has melted already, and they try to cover the rest up so the sun won't eat it. It’s hard to look at.

    All in all, it’s a really breathtaking experience, and everyone should get the chance to go there before it's too late, and the glacier will be gone for good.
    Read more