Satellite
  • A Visit to Tablelands and Trout River

    September 7, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    We woke up to another beautiful sunny day with no signs of Hurricane Dorian yet! After breakfast and packing lunches, we headed to the Tablelands where we were able to see the Earth’s mantle. There are only 4 other places in the world besides Gros Morne where you can see this in case you want to add this to your bucket list- Barbeton, South Africa; Disko Island, Greenland; Inyo County, California and Macquarie Island, Tasmania. It was a gentle hike of 4 km round trip in and out. While on this hike, we saw a beautiful halo around the sun that lasted for the entire hike. It was incredibly distinct and clear to the naked eye. Although this is common occurrence, we thought perhaps it was a "sign" since we were in such a special place and so Heather, Diane and I tried touching the rocks to see if we could do some time travel. What can I say- we are Outlander fans! Needless to say it did not work but the laughs we had while posing for the photos were well worth it! The landscape on the hike reminded me so much of Namibia especially Damaraland which made this place even more special.

    There is also a Discovery Centre in this area which we visited. The staff were so friendly and passionate about their work and the displays were amazing. It was here I learned that moose were introduced to Newfoundland in 1904 and guess what...they came from New Brunswick! Yay NB! Four moose were brought over to start the population and be a food source for folks here on the Rock. Who knew!

    Our next stop was the beautiful little town of Trout River snuggled in a sheltered cove on the west coast of Newfoundland. Here we climbed a LONG set of stairs which took us to the top of a hill overlooking the town and the ocean. Beautiful vistas to enjoy with our picnic!

    All in all a really good day!
    Read more