Satellite
  • Day 124

    Nono: Bags of initiative

    January 6, 2016 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Meet Nono, who gave up his job as a lawyer to become a park ranger at Barat National Park in Bali.

    He set up an initiative encouraging the local people and fishermen to collect the rubbish that they find floating in the sea. In return he makes them a bag!

    This idea was so popular that now he employs 7 people from the local village to make these fabulous bags.

    Its not everyday that you meet someone who is truly passionate about what they do, however these bags are a true labour of love.

    It takes each person one day to make one bag. However he is keen to expand his program. The money he makes from making the bags is put back into his education and awareness drive.

    He's on a mission: To clean up the sea and to stop people using plastic bags.

    The truth is, Nono is so much more than just a Park Ranger. He is a visionary and a passionate educator. He is keen to share his knowledge with locals and tourists alike. He regulary organises volunteers to help care for the coral reefs and is just about to start a school to help other local guides learn better english so they can help spread the word about wildlife and marine conservation.

    His charming manner and true love of what he does, makes his enthusiasm contageous.

    This is a man on a mission.

    If you would like to buy a bag, either let us know or contact Nono directly at nono.friendsofnature@gmail.com

    Alternatively you can follow his progress on facebook

    https://m.facebook.com/Sahabat-MenjanganFriends…
    Read more