Satellite
  • Day 3

    Back at AirBnB - Heading out for Tapas

    November 4, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 55 °F

    Spent the day roaming Madrid. Had breakfast and then embarked on a Sandeman’s Walking tour, which was outstanding. Led by a young lady from Manchester, England with a degree in Spanish Studies, she sure knew her history and was a great speaker. One of the best , if not the best, we’ve been on. Told a great story of why our starting point, the famous Plaza Mayor had such a bad smell for years and years and years until finally discovered why. I’ll tell you that story later! After 3 hours of that, the sun was shining (was supposed to pour all day), so we strolled over to the famous San Miguel Market which on a Saturday afternoon was absolutely jammed with folks doing the Tapas thing. Had a few ourselves, a glass of wine and then headed over to the Thyssen Museum to pick up a pass we had purchased online to skip the line and gain admission to the 3 biggie museums of Madrid. Didn’t think we had enough time to see the Thyssen, so went strolling and eventually ended up at Seville Metro stop whee we caught the Metro back to our home place. Now resting the dogs, having some coffee, and getting ready to hit the Tapas bars for 3 hrs with a guy who has been running his own private tours for some 18 years. He even sent us videos to watch about pigs eating acorns (that’s what makes the iberico ham taste so good !) and spanish wines and shared with us his Spotify playlist of Spanish music! Heck we haven’t even met him yet! Now that’s what I call service!

    Just returned (midnight) from Tapas Tour - wow! Went to about 5 places -each one got better than the last - all kinds of spirits, food,, camaraderie - had a great time - made some new friends - tour leader was great - he got plastered as well - can’t imagine him doing this every night! And no rain!
    Read more