Satellite
  • Day 2

    Eat with

    March 11, 2018 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 68 °F

    So Demetrius from Gate 1 picked us up about 9 this morning to go to the police station. We rode the metro since he doesn’t own a car. Got to the station. Took about 10 minutes to process a report with the police. Afterwards we took the metro to the Plaka area at the bottom of the Acropolis (Figured without a passport, credit cards or cash, they couldn't do much more harm to me on the metro!) Browsed some shops and then called the American Embassy number to set up an appt for Monday. They came back and said 8:30. Hopefully they might get me out of there by 10 so I can join the afternoon walking tour. Janet will go with the group to the Acropolis because she cannot enter the embassy with me. Fortunately she has some cash because the Embassy will only take a credit card in my name (and I don't have one now!)

    We then called Michail who had volunteered his friend to come pick us up wherever we were. He showed up in 30 minutes to pick us up from Hadrian's Arch near the Plaka area and took us across town to Michaels apt where we were greeted by two very friendly guys. Turned out to be his friends and Janet and I. We sat down and proceeded for the next 4 hrs to be dazzled by food and conversation. Just a fabulous, fabulous experience with 3 local guys. They even had some wrapped up art prints they gave us as going away gifts. Who does this?? Great people, that’s for sure. EatWith is definitely making me want to do this wherever I go - for the money, an absolute gift.
    Read more