Satellite
  • Day 12

    Venice Airport

    November 8, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 54 °F

    Up at 5:30 am for a 9:45 flight to Munich on Air Dolomite. Couldn’t check in online. Was sweating our carry on because we only have 80 minutes in Munich to make the connection with our United flight and we were afraid we’d have to claim our bags and check in again. If so, we knew we were probably doomed. Fortunately they checked our carry ons to IAD where we will reclaim them and then check them through again to the GSO. (apparently Air Dolomite is owned by Lufthansa and they’re part of of Star Alliance, so I lucked out)

    TSA was quick although I didn’t pull my iPad out and got busted so had to fish it out and go through again.

    Super foggy out. Going to be a blind takeoff. Looks like we’re going to take off about 15 mins late , shaving our Munich layover to 1 hr unless we make up some time. Lift off at 10:05 - 20 mins late.

    Just saw on the departure board that they cancelled a SwissAir flight to Zurich. At least 8 of our friends were on that flight. Wondering what they’re going to do now? (Found our later Swiss Air didn’t take off due to fog)

    Touchdown 10:48. 43 minute flight.Off plane and onto bus at 11:00. On board our United flight at 11:41, 30 minutes before departure. Security put me through special screening again. Maybe because I had a passport stolen back in March??

    I consider us very lucky to have pulled these flights off. This is what happens when you purchase a cheaper flight - a few more gray hairs!

    Now ready for China in late March 2019!!

    Hope you enjoyed the journal! If you click on the home page of FindPenguins, you’ll find journals of our other trips over the past few years
    Read more