Satellite
  • Day 16

    Perth Calling

    May 7, 2018 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 13 °C

    First up for the day a 10 km hike through the Pemberton Karri Forests, then a sneak peak up the first 10 steps of the giant Gloucester Karri tree which is a 53 metre ladder climb to the top. My head and heart couldn't cope with the climb - heights are not my thing!
    The rain set in in the afternoon so I head for a caravan park instead of bush camping. Have a beer at the Nanup pub before settling in for the night. Wake in the morning to fog and cold air - so happy to have my diesel heater!
    By the time I reach Bussleton the sun is shining a little and I walk the longest wooden jetty (1.8km) in the world. A quick trip to The Flametree winery to taste some wines and spend some money and the another night spent under the stars in a bush camp.
    I am now only 200 odd kms from Perth and suddenly feel the need to get there ASAP so with only a quick stop in Bunbury at an old favourite cafe for coffee and cake then a lunch stop on the sea front in Mandurah I am sharing dinner with Wesley, Diana and baby Sophia (my brother Erik's son and his family). So happy and relieved to have arrived in Perth all in one piece!
    Read more