Satellite
  • Day 44

    On our private jet

    August 25, 2017 ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    We chilled all morning with some of the people we had met, had some breakfast, got packed, and checked out. Ernie picked us up at 11 am to take us to the airport….well….by airport I mean room. It was tiny – it was crazy! We loved it though. The security men checked inside ALL of our bags on the way in, and then we checked in. You know a plane is tiny when they ask you to weigh YOURSELF on check in…yep that is right! I thought that Hope had misheard at first, but nopeeeee, we weighed ourselves. Not what you fancy doing after 6 weeks of eating and drinking non –stop haha!
    The plane was absolutely tiny! It was like our own tiny private jet. There were 12 of us on it, and it had two propellers either side (I can’t say I felt the most safe when we were in turbulence but it was only 45 minutes long so it was fine). It made sense why it was £47 for such a short journey – otherwise it wouldn’t be worth running. They have only recently introduced this direct flight.
    We landed in Caticlan, and got the ferry to Borocay. We got ripped off…again! We should have walked off the ferry, got a tricycle to the port, and got a ticket to Borocay which would have cost about 100 (and the lady at our hostel even said to do that). But we stupidly got dragged by this man into his shop where we agreed to pay 500 pisos each for a lift to the ferry port, ferry, and a lift the other side to the hostel. Idiots! I still don’t know what we actually paid for….100 was for assistance…well where was our assistance when we had to chuck our heavy bags onto the top of the van!!! Fuming!
    We overheard an English lady saying about how this route is so bumpy, and she would rather pay more to go a different route and be safe…blah blah blah. So we were expecting the worse and thought we were in for the bumpiest ferry ride. Especially when we saw that the company had just 2 stars, and there was a broken window on the ferry!!! But we left….and approximately 4/5 minutes later…we arrived. We were so confused.
    We got the van to mad monkey, we were the final stop. We had heard how amazing this hostel was so we were excited.
    We arrived – and it did not disappoint! Easily the best hostel we have stayed in on our whole travels. We were even upgraded from an 8 bed mixed dorm to a 4 bed female dorm (and only had one girl in there anyway!). Three nights only cost 900 pisos (Outpost was 850 for one night!!).
    We went out on the hunt for a Mexican, and had a walk along White beach on the way, which was very beautiful. It is so touristy in Borocay, but we quite liked that as were up for going out. It’s a shame that the Mexican was awful – very expensive- and so awful. And even more annoying as we walked
    Read more