Satellite
  • Day 73

    Sail from Great Exuma to Long Island

    May 29, 2022 on the Bahamas ⋅ ☁️ 79 °F

    We are now on full sailing mode after our last visitor left. Our boat insurance wants us to be in a certain area for hurricane season by July 1st and so do we. The last thing we want is to get trapped by a hurricane when everything we own is on this boat. The second we dropped mama Pat off at the airport we set sail for Lond Island. We had horrible winds but we made the best out of it with lots of reading and naps. Thankfully, weather conditions were perfect so we really enjoyed it. Right as we were coming into our anchorage for the night, there were like 30 birds diving hard in front of us. We circled around to them and caught a couple Bonita. We decided to try to pass by them one more time and we caught a TUNA! This was in the same area we caught the Wahoo a couple weeks back.

    The next morning we woke up early and started sailing for Clarence town which was on the other side of Lond Island and farther south. Right away we hooked a little mackerel which in our opinion is some of the best sushi. After 5 miles into our 30 mile sail the winds started to die again which was to be expected. We had to leave this day either way with storms pushing through the next couple days we may have not made it until later next week. So we motor sailed the rest of the way and followed the coastline where there were some major drop offs. We had both lines out, hoping to land some more fish to make the trip more thrilling. A little over half way there and our big rod gets slammed with a fish! Carson comes down to fight it while I lay off on the motors. All the sudden, we see a Blue Marlin jump several times out of the water!!! We couldn't believe it. He almost completely spooled the line before Carson was able to get him to swim towards the boat. After 15 minutes of fighting we got him to the boat where we had to try and revive him for a few minutes before releasing him. Carson was holding him by the bill swaying him around to get him back to normal again. You could tell he was exhausted. We were able to release him safely and he swam off.

    We landed a 200 lb Blue Marlin while sailing 2 miles off the coast of Long Island!! Still in total shock! Not even 30 minutes later, we hooked another one, a bigger one! Saw him jump a couple times then he came off. We were actually happy as we may have not won that fight lol.

    SAILING IS FULL OF SURPRISES!

    Ended the day, with homemade tuna and mackerel sushi rolls. NOM NOM
    Read more