Satellite
  • Day 5

    Cape Point

    June 27, 2017 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Woke up at 8 and tired! But had breakfast and then set out to, wait for it, FIND PENGUINS! 🐧 We went to Boulders Beach in Table Mountain National Park and watched the African Penguins in their natural habitat. A great site! Next we ate lunch at, and had a tour of, an ostrich farm. The ostrich below is only 7 weeks old! Ostrich have the 2nd toughest leather (2nd only to kangaroo). And their eyes are bigger than their brain. When the staff take the female's egg away to incubate it, she forgets she laid one so does it again...
    We drove across the street into Table Mountain National Park. We started our visit at Cape Point where we took a funicular up to the lighthouse for some beautiful views of the Indian and Atlantic Oceans. Ken, Siggy and I walked down (about 10 minutes) and then we drove to the Cape of Good Hope (the Southwestern most point of Africa) where we took an obligatory picture with the sign. We drove the 1.5 hours home from there (but managed to see a couple of wild ostrich and a herd of Eland Antelopes on the way out of the park and then several Bontebok - another antelope type- on the side of the road).
    Grety made us some pizzas and salad for dinner and we relaxed at the house in the evening. Watched the latest Jason Bourne movie.
    Looking forward to a very full night of sleep!
    Read more