Satellite
  • Day 6

    Wine Country

    June 28, 2017 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    We left the house at 11 and drove first to Stellenbosch (about 45 minutes away). Stellenbosch is the oldest city in South Africa - founded by the Dutch in 1670. The streets are beautiful with all white washed buildings and oak tree lined streets. It is now a university town.
    Next we drove to Franschhoek (French Corner) town in the midst of wine country. We had a delicious lunch at Cafe Bon Bon in the La Petite Dauphin. (I had a pumpkin and sage pasta). We were honored by the presence of the resident rooster, Hendrik. What a treat! Beautiful wine farm, even in 'winter'.
    We stopped at another winery - Mont Rochelle (owned by Richard Branson). Ken got a red wine sampling.
    And then we went to one more winery known as Spice Root for chocolate tasting. We tasted about 12 different types of chocolate. Now that's my kind of tasting!
    We drove an hour home. It is interesting that nearly 90% of the vehicles here are white given the high summer heat.
    We had a light dinner of cold cuts, cheese, and breads and, of course, more chocolate (purchased earlier in the day) for dessert. Watched some tv and then to bed. 😊 Nice day!
    Read more