Satellite
  • Day 13

    To Savute Elephant Camp - Chobe

    July 5, 2017 in Botswana ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Our morning game drive gave us 3 new animals, the reedbuck, the wildebeest and the hyena (who kindly led us down the road, looking back every few steps to make sure we were following!). Onx also educated us on termite mounds (way more interesting than you'd think) and regaled us with a poop-spitting competition between him and Jimmy (a 2nd guide). Yes, you read that correctly! They used antelope poop though it is much stickier than giraffe poop, the preferred ammunition for this contest. And now I officially know way more information about animal dung than I ever needed to!!
    Onx drove us to the airstrip (2 minutes away) and we said goodbye. He has a wonderful personality and we enjoyed our time with him.
    The pilot asked if I wanted the co-pilot seat and I jumped at the chance. We flew for 10 minutes before picking up 4 more passengers. Unfortunately, whether I sit in the front or the back, 8 seater planes don't agree with me. I got sick and it was miserable. Luckily, the 2nd leg of the flight was only 30 minutes. Just about 28 minutes too long!
    Our new guide, Muffin, picked us up at the airstrip and drove us the 1/2 hour to the Savute Lodge. Rooms are identical to the Kwhai River Lodge.
    We ate lunch (though I wasn't too hungry) and we went back to the rooms to relax. I fell asleep outside in the chaise lounge, only to be woken up by a squirrel (?) gnawing on my knee!!! Note to self, no sleeping outside here!
    I couldn't help but give the lodge manager, Steve, a hard time about the camp's attack squirrels. We asked that, in return, he make sure we saw a lion 🦁and cheetah 🐆 (the latter, rare in these parts) on our afternoon game drive. He promised to try. Before we left, he put out a wooden lion and cheetah for us. 😂
    BUT, wouldn't you know, we saw the lion (1 male sleeping) and 2 cheetah eating the tsessebe they had just killed!! It was awesome! We also saw ostrich, a Verreaux Eagle Owl, black-backed Jackal, a Kori bustard (huge land bird) and, to top it all off, an African wild cat! Way to go Muffin!
    We ate dinner (only soup and salad for me - still not feeling great and not a fan of lamb or pork) while watching elephants at the watering hole in front of the dining room. Then we relaxed in the room before bed.
    Read more