Satellite
  • Day 211

    Wet (and still windy) Wellington

    April 5, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌧 13 °C

    What do you do in Wellington when it is very wet and windy? You visit one of the many great museums! Luckily for us, we've had our worst weather day yet here, with plenty to keep us occupied. We had planned to visit a couple of museums but we ended up spending the whole day in in the Te Papa National Museum, it was so good - both for adults and children. It had exhibits about the history of people in NZ, including Maori origins, more recent immigration and the history of wildlife in NZ. My favourite exhibit was the colossal squid - that was caught by a fishing boat in Antarctica in 2007 and frozen, then thawed, examined and preserved for display in the museum - fascinating. Solana's favourite was the life-sized model of the blue whale's heart that you could climb inside. There was also a great special exhibit about bugs, with lots of special effects and fascinating facts; Solana's favourite in this section was a giant wasp that you could climb into and slide down inside - as you emerged from the bottom of the slide, the wasp "farted"!). Later we dried out and warmed up in our Air BnB room (taking advantage of the free tumble drier use too!) - see pictures.

    This is our 77th blog footprint posted, over 7 countries. We've been travelling for 11 weeks and we have 6 weeks left of our Big Adventure. We wonder what those next 6 weeks will bring...
    Read more