Satellite
  • Day 241

    South to Geraldton

    May 5, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 25 °C

    Today we left the NW of Australia and drove the 408km South from Denham to Geraldton. On the way out of Denham we stopped at a viewpoint and found that it had a "thong shack" - a wooden shack with lots of flip flops (called "thongs" in Australia) nailed to it - both unexpected and amusing. We stopped again at Eagle Bluff - today there were no flies (they apparently vary a lot from day to day depending on temperature and wind) but also no sharks or rays circling in the water below to view. The road was long and there were plenty of signs warning of the wildlife you might encounter on the roads along the way. We saw a few emus and flying birds but that is about all. We were quite pleased not to encounter any stray cows or kangaroos on the road, as I'm not sure who'd have come off worse! We stopped in a dusty layby for a picnic lunch and learnt there that bush wees with flies around are not fun!

    We arrived in Geraldton mid-afternoon and stopped to stock up on supplies at the fish market (prawn kebabs and crab claws for the barbie), supermarket and bottle shop - the latter sells alcohol as the supermarkets here are not allowed to sell it. We're staying in a cabin at Sunset Bay campsite tonight a few steps from the beach) and Solana enjoyed playing with other kids on the giant "jumping pillow" whilst we prepared a barbie for dinner again. We can hear the Indian Ocean waves from our cabin tonight - hoping they'll lull us into a refreshing sleep ready for a new day tomorrow.
    Read more