Satellite
  • Day 6

    Riding out of Ho Chi Minh to Cat Tien

    October 15, 2018 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    We picked up our bikes and rode 200km to Cat Tien today. Getting out of Ho Chi Minh City was uneventful. Our experience riding in Sri Lanka two years ago really stood us in good stead. (otherwise we might have been a little freaked out) Several miles down the road we came to a river ferry crossing. Augie had done his research and we each had the correct fare tucked away. This kept us from holding up the boarding line too much.

    The first 100km was relatively urban. Just as in Sri Lanka the roads are lined with houses and businesses most of the way. We stopped for coffee about half way to our destination. The Café owner recommended a place for banh mi sandwiches. By the time we got to the place it was closed. Bummer. We rode on with empty stomachs. The second hundred kilometers the roadside transitioned to rubber plantations anf rice paddies. Much more pleasant. The last 20 we rode some nice curvy stretches up toward the mountains.

    At Cat Tien we pulled into our inn, the Spirit Garden Guesthouse. https://goo.gl/maps/WTC2PtgsDhG2
    The owner met us with a cold orange juice and led us to our riverside bungalow. It's a little buggy, but really serene. Plus at $13 a night, who's complaining? At dinner we met Nick, a Brit who has been leading motorcycle tours here for the past few years. He gave us some awesome tips in routes and accommodations as we head north.

    Over the next few days we'll try to set up Augie's Gopro to get some riding footage.
    Read more