Satellite
  • Day 1

    Off to the Subcontinent

    December 5, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 11 °C

    Subcontinent. Who calls India that anyway? British probably.

    We're all packed and off again. Our friend Don just dropped us off at SFO. California to Vancouver followed by a short, 14 hour flight to Indira Gandhi Airport in Delhi. Sophie met us here with a box of macarons given to her by a person who owns a french bakery in the airport.(see photo) It seems Sophie helped this woman load her bag in the airport shuttle and was repaid in confections! Augie is currently in route from a small town Laos to Thailand and will meet us at the airport in Delhi.

    As usual our plan is anything but simple.

    Keoladeo. Driver meets us at the airport and drives us four hours to the Iora Guest House in Biratpur. We take day trips to Chand Boari Stepwell, the Taj Mahal, and frequent visits to the nearby Keoladeo Bird Sanctuary.

    Southern India. We fly from Delhi to the south Indian city of Kochi where we join this Intrepid Travel tour. I am particularly interested in the food tours. Sophie is looking for block printing places, Augie likes the temples, and Nancy is just taking it all in. https://www.intrepidtravel.com/us/india/souther…

    Mumbai. We fly to Mumbai and attend the week long wedding of the nephew of our dear friends John (Jules) and Varsha. Nancy and I will also be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary on New Year's Eve. After all of the celebrating Sophie leaves us and flies back to the States. :(

    Rajasthan. We fly to Jaipur and take a circuitous route exploring Bundi, Bikaner (camel festival), to Jaisalmer and everything in between. Sometime in there Augie flies back to the States. :(

    The Punjab. Train to Amritsar to visit the Golden Temple and (perhaps) rent motorbikes to explore the foothills of the Himalaya from Dharamshala to Shimla.

    Exit Indira Gandhi Airport and return to Santa Cruz in early February.

    Whew!

    Should be interesting.
    Read more