Satellite
  • Day 3

    Hanoi

    September 26, 2019 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    SFO to Hanoi

    A short report here.

    Our friends from Amsterdam will be staying in our house while we are away. We spent three pleasant days together before Augie dropped us at the airport. They made us some delicious beet burgers for us on our last evening together. We need to ask for the recipe.

    We met our friends Don and Mary at the International Terminal and immediately headed to the KLM lounge for a bit of food and relaxation. The flight was long, but uneventful. Before we knew it we'd all slept well and arrived in Hanoi. The line to finalize the visa was tedious, but soon we were sitting in our hotel lobby having a tete a tete with the tour operator who helped us arrange our route and driver. Manh ta Tien was very enthusiastic and supportive as we laid out our route from north to south.

    Hanoi
    Long Ha bay
    Ninh Binh
    Phong Nha
    Peacetrees
    Hue
    Hoi An
    Ho Chi Minh Saigon
    and the Mekong

    In Hanoi we had our first meal at Bun Cha Huong Lein. The restaurant made famous when Barack Obama and Anthony Bourdain shared a meal there. They have since enclosed the table and place settings in plexiglass. The food was delicious. Note that Nancy and I didn't even take time to look up at the camera.

    Next. Long Ha bay cruise...
    Read more