Satellite
  • Day 12

    Boulder Mountain

    June 17, 2020 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 15 °C

    Next day we headed north to revisit the Burr trail and possibly scope out on the western edge of Capitol Reef. Unfortunately the smoke from the fires had blown north in that direction. We did get in a short hike up the north Muley 4 wheel drive road. Lovely wash.

    With temperatures in the high 80s, smoke, wind, and blowing sand against us we decided to head back up to altitude. We found a nice site near the Deer Lake trailhead. Next morning we made the six mile round trip hike up to the lake. We were rewarded on our descent with endless views of Redrock stretching to the distant Henry mountains.

    That afternoon we lit out for Cathedral Valley. Earlier in the trip we ran across a dentist and 4wd enthusiast who told us that the route through Cathedral was not to be missed. 'Rates a 10 out of 10 for beauty in (I didn't quite catch the name of the offroad journal he referred to).

    On our way off of Boulder mountain we passed lots of dirt roads heading to some seemingly amazing campsites. Next time.

    Cathedral Valley road runs north/south along the Capitol Reef north of Rt. 22. It tucks in and out of the national monument. Mary informed us that anywhere outside of the park boundary was fair game for camping. Along the way we passed some remarkable features.

    We camped for the night next to a 100 foot red rock striated wall. As it was a new moon Nancy and I woke in the middle of the night to see the stars. We lay in our reclining camp chairs and just took it all in.
    Read more