Satellite
  • Day 165

    Stupa Karma Guen

    November 17, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    With panoramic views from Nigel and Tracey's terrace, we could see an unusual building at the top of the mountain opposite, so we jumped on the bike to explore.

    After a few wrong turns, followed by some pretty steep and bumpy roads and tracks, we eventually arrived at the 13m high Karma Guen Stupa, one of only five Kalachakra stupas in the world and the first one built in the west. A Kalachakra stupa is a symbol of universal peace and unity amongst different peoples. They are said to possess great spiritual power and bring about compassion, love and happiness, social, spiritual and physical well-being, regardless of nationality or religious beliefs.

    The location was just beautiful, overlooking the surrounding mountains all the way to the coast where the sea glistened in the sun and we were lucky enough to have to all to ourselves.

    It reminded me of my time in Kathmandu and the wonderful stupa I visited there. Although this one was smaller, it was just as special as we followed the instructions and both walked clockwise around it, silently sending out our thoughts and good wishes.
    Read more