Satellite
  • Day 504

    Spanish Safari

    October 22, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    It's always fun choosing where to head off for next and we've got a great app on the phone of campsites and Aires across Europe. Our first stop in Spain looked very interesting and it didn't disappoint.

    Just off the motorway, not far from Santander, is the Parque de la Naturaleza Cabárceno, an exotic animal park, with free overnight parking, overlooking a lake, right next door. We did a double-take as within walking distance of the motorhome, would could see elephants and water buffalo inside the park. We had to go and see this.

    Our entrance ticket was two-fold; firstly we took a cable car trip around the park and were able to get fantastic bird's-eye views of elephants, hippos, hyenas, wallabys, bison, camels, lynx and brown bears. The park reminded us of Jurassic Park, with lots of trees and undulating, natural rocky terrain. Next we were able to take our own vehicle to explore the vast area and other animals at our own pace. We decided to take the motorbike and ventured around the network of roads to see silver-backed gorilla's, zebras, jaguars, lion & lionesses and bengal tigers including a white one. It was very apparent that they have a successful breeding programme in place with lots of very young animals around including a baby gorilla who was still unsteady on his legs and provided us with lots of entertainment under the ever watchful eyes of his parents. We had an unusual yet fantastic day there.
    Read more