Satellite
  • Day 1

    Tintwhistle Traffic jam

    May 7, 2017 in England ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Research done, Heimo packed we left Carlecotes at about 5.45 and decided to head off to Anglesey with a stop over somewhere in Flintshire. Without a great deal of thought as to the consequences we headed out of Carlecotes towards Dumford Bridge and dropped on to the A628 heading towards M67 intending to go south around Manchester. We made great time until just after Crowden when we came upon a line of stationary traffic with cars turning around. Convinced there was no way it was an eight mile queue we trundled along expecting to see roadworks any moment. By the time we had spent an hour in the queue and travelled about 5 miles to Tintwistle, Rachel had lost patience (Nicks patience had gone almost an hour earlier). Anyway the navigator gave the instruction to turn off left and so we headed off down to Hadfield and on to Glossop.

    A change of plan was on the cards, it was nearly 7.30 by the time we got to Glossop, options were reviewed and the beauty of being in a motorhome dawned us, we can stopover wherever we feel like! A quick check on the map and we decided to cut through Marple and head into Cheshire via Wilmslow and onto Alderley Edge, our target was another BritStops pub called The Egerton Arms in the village of Chelford. We arrived feeling really quite tired, despite a relatively short journey in miles, but the landlord was super helpful and kind and made us feel very welcome. The food was delicious and we quickly gave up plans of a one course meal, the dessert menu was a treat. Steak pie followed by a fab apple and rhubarb crumble and the most amazing honeycomb cheesecake all washed down some excellent real ale and red wine and we were fit to burst!
    Read more