Satellite
  • Day 115

    San Andres

    May 28, 2017 in Colombia ⋅ ☁️ 30 °C

    San Andres is a beautiful little Colombian island in the Caribbean, off the coast of Nicaragua. It was so perfect and I had the best person to share it with (Josh, obviously). Think - white sands, clear waters

    When we arrived, we got picked up and taken to our cabana. We were staying in a posada run by a lovely lady named Gloria. It's so homely and has lots of wildlife around - hummingbirds, chicks, etc. As it was the evening when we arrived we went out for some dinner and a few drinks.

    The next day the sun was shining and we got up to make breakfast. After that we walked around the town looking for somewhere to do my laundry (but I has forgotten it was Sunday and everywhere was closed) and we had a coffee and went to the beach in the main town Sprat Bight. The sea is clear blue - the bluest I've probably ever seen - and so warm. We laid on the beach and had some beers. Josh got a bit burnt and had to cover up.

    Everyone drives round the island in beach or golf buggys so the next day we went to the car rental to rent one for the day. This was so fun because we were able to drive round and explore the whole island. It's only about 10-15km long so it's not huge and you could probably drive round it in less than an hour.

    We spent the whole day driving round and stopping off at places on the way. We stopped off at Morgan's Cave which is where Captain Morgan's rum originates from. Although it was a bit touristy, the cave itself was actually really cool. I never knew that Captain Morgan was an English pirate who came to San Andres to hide his treasure!

    After we continued to drive and stopped off at a few beaches on the way to Rocky Cay. Rocky Cay is a beautiful beach with white sands and clear blue seas. We spent the rest of the day there, and then eventually drove the buggy back to the town to give it back to the rental. This was made more difficult by the fact that half of the roads in the central were closed and the one-way system made it confusing.

    On our last day, as Johnny Cay was closed, we decided to go back to Rocky Cay. We got the bus and then had some lunch - the most amazing (and huge) fresh red snapper fish with so much meat on it. We went and chilled on the beach until it started to torrential rain. We thought the rain would pass quickly but we had to wait for two hours and then get the bus back to the town. After we dried off we made some dinner and had some drinks before getting an early night for our flight the next day.

    It's been so nice being in paradise. The people here are so friendly as well. It's felt more like a holiday than travelling with Josh. Everything is so easy and tranquilo here.
    Read more