Satellite
  • Day 127

    Medellin

    June 9, 2017 in Colombia ⋅ 🌧 23 °C

    Medellin: the city of eternal spring. Warm weather all year round, the friendliest people I've ever met and lots of fun stuff to do.

    The first day we went to do a walking tour around the downtown area. This was really good because you got to hear a lot about the history of the city and also Colombia as a whole. After Josh and I went to Comuna 13 which used to be one of the most dangerous neighbourhoods in Medellin, but has undergone a period of renovation and now it is a place of culture and street art.

    In the evening we had a few drinks at our rooftop bar with a lovely Dutch couple and some others that we met.

    The next day we took a bus to Guatape, which is in the countryside about two hours away from Medellin. We walked up the piedra (rock) to see the viewpoint of all the lakes in the area. Unfortunately I heard that these were man-made, but that didn't detract to the beauty of it. We then went to the town which is so colourful and pretty. We had coffee and then ice cream. We also went on a zip line across the lake and then got the bus back into Medellin and saw Lucy and Andy for the last time in the evening before they go back to the UK 😢 sad they are going home because they have been my travel bezzies since Iguazu in month 1!

    The last day we went paragliding which was an amazing experience. I was a little bit nervous but it actually isn't scary at all. The wind just picks you up and you fly above the city of Medellin which was incredible. It can be a little bit wobbly when the wind knocks you but I'm so glad I did it. I'd definitely do it again in the future.

    After we cooked and then got ready for our last flight to Bogota, before Josh heads back home.
    Read more