Satellite
  • Day 1

    Day 1 Port Hueneme to Salzburg, Austria

    August 31, 2017 in Austria ⋅ 🌧 16 °C

    We left Port Hueneme at 11:30 a.m., being driven in a Lincoln Towne Car (Smart Shuttle). Traffic was great on the 405 but heavy around the airport and our driver got a little mixed up, but we were fine. No stress from Jerry! The line to check our bags took 40 minutes, but security was quick, so we were ready to board. Our leg room was amazing!! We found out there was a downside. We were right by the bathrooms so at peak times, we had lots of company! Our only negative for the days was when three Germans decided to stand right in our space to stretch their legs and talk loudly when we were trying to sleep! They hung out there, talking, for roughly an hour!!! So much for any sleep! We had a wonderful dinner and breakfast on the plane and watched a few movies. We landed in Frankfort and had to really rush to go a long way to get on a bus that took us to our small Australian Airlines plane to Salzburg. That was a very short ride and the wait for our luggage was short. We were met by our driver who put us in a large BMW and drove us to the Sheraton Grand Hotel. The hotel was beautiful, staff was friendly, and room was newly renovated so very modern with an extremely comfortable king bed!
    We unpacked, took a one hour nap, and went on a walk to explore Salzburg! What a beautiful city! We walked across the river which separates new from old city, although both are older than anything we are used to! We found a little outdoor cafe and ate traditional Austrian food with wine and beer. Then we walked back to our room and took another hour nap. We got up, went for a walk in the night and ate ice cream with coffee. Back to the room for a sleep in that wonderful bed!
    Read more