Satellite
  • Day 5

    KL Day 5. Petronas ... oops no .. Melaka

    July 15, 2019 in Malaysia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    We wake late at 0945. Don’t worry our trip to Petronas is booked for 5pm. Er no it isn’t the ticket says 1000. We rush to a taxi for the 5 minute journey. On arrival at the towers all seems far too quiet. This is because the Towers are closed on Monday and our ticket is actually for tomorrow. Oh well ... what’s plan B? We decide on a quick trip out to Melaka.

    Melaka requires a long taxi ride or a long distance coach rode. We opt for the coach from the long distance coach hub at TBS. Buying tickets is very easy as, despite 3 or more companies plying the route the ticketing is centralised. The next available departure is in about 20 mins just time for toilet visits and grabbing some snacks.

    Just under 2 hours gets us to the long distance coach hub on the edge of Melaka with a 20 minute or so wait for a local bus into the centre . We get off at Dutch Square
    Dates back to 15th century and was the trading centre of the Melaka Sultanate tasing spices and textiles with Indonesia and India. The Dutch East India and British East India companies have all had spells of reign here too but things went into decline when Singapore was established in 1819.

    It’s now a delightful town which you can wander around and take in the Chinese shop houses and river to walk along. It is also a UNESCO world heritage site which has helped preserve the centre. In the back streets we found Chinese temples and Catholic churches.

    Our stay here wasn’t long given our late start but it was well worth the visit. A quick taxi back to the bus station and booking on the 5.30pm bus back takes us straight back to KL in less than 2 hours.

    Dinner in Bukit Butang at a Malaysian chain called Gravy Baby. We choose burgers and cocktails but one of the offerings is a British style roast dinner ... maybe if it had been Sunday.
    Read more