Satellite
  • Day 12

    Berchtesgaden, Germany

    September 21, 2015 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 57 °F

    I woke up hungover from the fun at Augustiner Brau! We ordered room service breakfast which was very nice and 50% off with Myron's hotel discount. We purchased a Bayern ticket (an all-day unlimited use of Germany's public transportation for up to 6 people) and found our way to Bus 840 from Salzburg Hbf to Berchtesgaden Hbf. It was a small station but (as I researched in advance) had luggage lockers! We chose a large one that easily fit our small rolling suitcase and 2 large backpacks, costing us 2 euro for 24 hours. We barely missed the bus but caught the next one: Bus 841 to Konigsee. There was a short line for tickets and we boarded the ferry which took us across Lake Konigsee. We stopped at St. Bartholomew's Church and Salet. There were a ton of options for hiking and other outdoor activities. I wish we didn't have such limited time there because it was an absolutely gorgeous day for hiking with breathtaking views of the mountains and water. We hiked to lake Obersee in about 15 minutes for more gorgeous views. The ferry back to the parking lot was 55 min from Salet.

    For lunch, we got street food: bratwurst and currywurst. We went up the Jennerbahn next, which has similar views to the Eagle's Nest but is very close to Lake Konigsee. Since we are not much into WW2 history, we chose to go up the Jennerbahn. We went up at 2:45pm on the dot because there is a 20% discount for "last minute". It was a 30 min ride in an enclosed ski-lift type of chair lift. This mountain is a ski resort in the winter. The lift topped out at 1800m above sea level and we hiked to the summit at 1874m. There were incredible views of Berchtesgaden all the way to Salzburg, Lake Konigsee and we even saw the Eagle's Nest! We had ice-cream on the mountaintop at their restaurant (Schmeckerfatz (pear sorbet, strawberry ice-cream and vanilla) and Erdbeere (strawberry)).

    We got to the train station in time for a 5:30pm train to Munich, but it was cancelled at the last minute. We didn't understand the announcement because it was in German, but a train attendant came by and told us the train wouldn't be leaving until 6:30 :( Unfortunately we would've loved more time in Berchtesgaden but by that time we already had unloaded our luggage and didn't want to go out for such a short period of time. We changed trains in Freilassing and our Bayern Ticket worked out great!

    We arrived in Munich at 9:20pm. Oktoberfest closes at 10, so we decided to call it a night. There were tons of drunk revelers between the train station and our hotel, which was rather annoying as a sober tired person but would be fun in future nights. We had dinner at a small restaurant next to our hotel, and Myron got a donor kebab while I got a falafel sandwich. Our hotel in Munich was the Maritim Hotel Munchen which is very close to Munich Hbf.
    Read more