Satellite
  • Day 5

    Santiago, Galapagos Islands

    August 12, 2013 in Ecuador ⋅ ⛅ 68 °F

    Early morning and breakfast at 7:30. Departure at 8:30 for Santiago at Sullivan Bay. Started with a hike around some lava fields from a recent eruption in 1897. On the walk, we saw some cinder cones, ash cones, lava rock formations and a unique cactus that can survive in this field. For wildlife, saw some locusts and penguins. Myron got injured and needed first aid from his nurse wife.

    After the hike we snorkeled off the beach and saw many fish, turtles, marine iguanas and sea lions and penguins perched on a rock.

    Back on the boat by 12 and hand lunch. During lunch, San Jose navigated across the bay to Bartolome Island.

    2:30 snorkel by Pinnacle Rock. This snorkeling was probably the best. Saw a white fin reef shark, giant sting ray, penguins, sea lions, many species of fish, starfish and lots of interesting rock formations. After snorkeling, a quick change into real clothes and we disembarked for Bartolome Island. We hiked up 370 steps to the top of the mountain on the island. The trek up supplied many great photo ops and examples of rock formations (splatter cone), submerged caldera, group photo on top. Return to boat. 6:45pm briefing and farewell cocktail on the top deck. 7PM dinner.
    Read more