Satellite
  • Day 8

    Lima, Peru

    August 15, 2013 in Peru ⋅ ☁️ 61 °F

    Up at 3:30 AM (ugh). Transfer out of Quito was a big frightening at 4:30AM. ? vehicle in disrepair. Made it to the airport in one piece. Flight via Avianca was good, took ~45min to clear customs and immigration. Our transfer was waiting for us and was quick and efficient. About a 45min drive to Miraflores. Stowed our bags at Hotel Britania Miraflores and set off to find Cebicheria La Mar. Approx 20 min walk. We each got a pisco sour and Degustacion (mixed flight of ceviche). Absolutely delicious! Clasico, Mixto, Chalaco, Nikei & Carretilla. We left stuffed and tipsy. One of the best restaurants in Lima (per our research and later learned from our guide). Only open from 12-4 for lunch. Located at the corner of 8 de Octubre and Av La Mar.

    At 2PM, we were met at the hotel by Vanessa of Lima Mentor for our 1/2 day highlights tour. First we went to Larco museum where we saw the erotic gallery and lots of pre-Columbian artifacts. Very interesting and we liked having a guide to explain everything. We had a traditional Peru dessert: Lacuma mousse. 2 hr visit in the museum. Then a visit to the Colonial Center where we saw City Hall, President's Palace Church of Santo Domingo. Climbed bellower and toured this church substantially. Drove by a pre-Colombian archaeological site.

    At 6:30, we had a welcome meeting with G Adventures representative. Group seems very nice so far. Hotel has free wifi,breakfast in the morning. Walked to the grocery store for water and snacks. Still full from lunch so we had apples and juice for dinner.

    Our group:
    Lara from Toronto
    Bruce, Nanette, Elizabeth and Ally from New Jersey
    Vicky & Daniel from England
    Kate and Giovanna from Edmonton
    Giselle and Lorelai from Alberta
    Read more