Satellite
  • Day 10

    Ollantaytambo, Peru

    August 17, 2013 in Peru ⋅ ☀️ 68 °F

    6AM wakeup. Breakfast in hotel. Interesting breakfast: cheese, tomato, cilantro salad, popped corn, granola & quinoa, cheeses, avocados, coca tea, pina juice. 8AM meeting for departure for Sacred Valley.

    Sacred Valley Trek was very busy, full of culture, hiking and history. Started with a drive up Sasqaywamin for a panoramic view of Cusco. Drove on to an animal sanctuary with Puma, condors, parrots. We stayed 30 min, continued on to the Women's Weaving Co-op; here we explored the small community and saw some local women making alpaca crafts. We bought some items for family members and for Sherilyn. We drove to the village / Pisac ruins and hiked around the ruins for an hour or so. Pisac was very interesting with a mix of pre-Incan and Incan ruins. After leaving Pisa, we stopped for some baked empanadas and drove across the Urumbamba Valley to Ollantaytambo. After a quick tour of the village we had lunch at "Papas": we got Lomo Saltado and Alpaca Steak.

    After lunch, we checked into the hotel and hiked up the ruins of Ollantaytambo. The view from the hill was spectacular. Some free time to explore the city and markets. After a short meeting to review tomorrow, we had dinner at Papas again (pizza and quinca soup). Return to the hotel and packed for the hike.
    Read more