Satellite
  • Day 5

    Amsterdam - Van Gogh museum & market

    February 17, 2017 in the Netherlands ⋅ ⛅ 45 °F

    We woke up later than yesterday and went to breakfast at Pancakes Amsterdam. We had Dutch pancakes which were very similar to Parisian crepes. I had one with apples, calvados and almonds. Myron had one with chili pepper, banana and bacon. Decliious but a little expensive. They were accommodating to Maggie too and were one of the few places in Amsterdam that actually had a high chair for her...they even had a ring stacking toy! We walked around the corner to a small cafe to get coffees "to go". The Canals Museum was nearby and it was interesting but not worth the price of admission at all (12.50 euro each). We spent about 1.5 hours there. We walked down to the Albert Cuypmarkt and got street food as a "light" lunch: poffertjes, stroopwaffel, and fries with curry sauce. We spent about an hour walking through it...it was about 3 blocks long. There were lots of food vendors, souvenirs, antiques, produce and fish mongers, etc. I saw a few baby shirts that would've been really cute, but they were around 15 euro and I thought I'd find more that were cheaper so I waited (spoiler alert: I regretted not buying them then).

    We walked to the Van Gogh museum next. We had made an advance reservation for 3pm but the tickets were free with the MK. The museum was great, and took us on a journey through Van Gogh's life and art. Well worth the visit. We did not plan ahead and download the Van Gogh app, so we got audio guides at 5 euro per person, but it would be useful to just use the app, as we did in other museums. We spent close to 2 hours there. Very accessible with the stroller.

    We walked to Moeders, where we had a 5:30 reservation. The walls are completely covered in photos of mothers of all ages but unfortunately I forgot the photo I wanted to bring :( We had a 3-course meal with pea soup to start (both), sirloin with spinach (Myron), salmon (Sherilyn) and dessert: cheesecake (M), chocolate trio - ice-cream, mousse & bonbon (S). Overall a fantastic 5-star meal. The service was exceptional. Near the end of our meal, another couple with a baby sat near us. Their baby Aidan was born only 3 days before Maggie. It was fun to connect to another traveler. We finished our meal with a cappuccino and walked back to our apartment. We did laundry and organized itinerary for the morning. We loved having laundry in our apartment but it was a little loud and prevented us from sleeping. For some reason the dryer never turned off and just kept spinning even after the clothes were dry. It literally took over an hour for the washer and 2+ hours for the dryer until I shut it off in the middle of the night. So frustrating! Especially when you can't read the dial because it's in another language. These things make travel so much harder.
    Read more