Satellite
  • Day 290

    Throwback 2017

    January 26, 2018 in the Netherlands ⋅ ⛅ 6 °C

    Hi lovely people out there,

    Wow that's been a while. I just got an email from FindPenguins that today is exactly one year ago I had my goodbye dinner with friend, because I was about to leave to India for my Yoga Teacher Training. What a year it has been. Crazy, with so many changes.
    Ofcourse the journey of 2017 started with graduating from university. A chapter to be closed. But a closing always is followed by an opening. A space is created for something new. And that is what happened. I dived deed into the journey of becoming a yoga teacher. And hell yeah, I can tell you, that ain't easy. But luckily I was surrounded by this lovely 'family' who are still in my heart.

    Yesterday I was lying in bed after I followed a yoga class myself, because I really felt the urge to treat myself with some yoga instead of standing at the other side of the mat. I put on some music and then I heard one of the favorite songs of my theacher in Rishikesh. It touched me and brought me in tears. So amazing what the sound of music can do with you. For a moment I was back in India.

    With Astrid, who taught the class I was following yesterday, I had a conversation about being a teacher. And especially about how important it is to also spend enough time doing a practice yourself instead of teaching. We both are beginners when it comes to teaching so it was really nice to share our experiences. About all the things you have to be aware of during teaching and also about our insecurities. Sharing connects!

    Anyway, I am drifting of the topic I guess ;) Because I was reflecting on the year of 2017 with all it’s changes. When I came back from India and Sri Lanka, another new chapter started. Namely, the chapter of what I like to call ‘the black hole’ after travelling and especially after graduating. This feeling of “Help, what do I want to do with my life?! How the hell am I gonna pay my rent without the funding/loan from the government? I need to find a proper job. But what kind of job? Etcetera etcetera”. – I could go on and on!

    Luckily I could come back to the organization I was working for just before I went to India. But, this was ‘only’ I side job. You see, I’m highlighting the word ‘only’ because I hate the fact that we are so drilled by society to get the highest form of education and especially to find the job that suits this education AND gives you a lot of money. It seems that this is a topic that somehow keeps coming back to me. I guess it is because I’m still struggling myself. Struggling to find the answer to what I want to do, instead of what I think I must do.

    Somehow I have the feeling that I must have a serious and responsible job for highly educated people in which I have to use my analytic brain. Is it only me who has this feeling? Or is it something on a bigger scale? It makes me think of a video I saw from a Dutch comedian with the main message: who is gonna fix our tap if we are so focused on high education levels, degrees and certificates?!
    Funny thing: I started writing this from my heart, but now I shifted to my brains. So, I guess it is time to come to an end and continue later on. For now, I hope you enjoyed reading this and have a wonderful day!

    Love,

    Iris
    Read more