Satellite
  • Day 28

    Port Arthur Convict Settlement

    January 21, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Our early days were quite the challenge. Port Arthur was reserved for the worst re-offenders. And at first glance it looks pretty grim for the convicts, the soldiers and even the officers. But when you consider that most convicts were "put to work", they spent the vast majority of their time away from Port Arthur cutting timber, quarrying, building houses or boats. Their actual time spent in a prison wall was confined to only when they slept.

    There were no prison walls either. The Port Arthur prison was walled by sea and forest. The prisoners, soldiers and officers lived "together" within those walls. Sure they lived in chains and different buildings but they still worked together.

    Unless they offended. Then they were screwed. 23hrs in solitary, silent confinement. Strange Quaker ideals about reforming the affirmed through silent solidute and self reflection came into force. The next door mental asylum was never without patrons after they went through that hell.

    Still. The area now is quite glorious. Check out the pics and the huge bees they seem to have down here.
    Read more