Satellite
  • Day 9

    Cosy Corner free camp

    February 16, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    Decided to have our first experience of free camping. Picked on Cosy Corner East, and took the recommendation of others to get to free camp early, since sites can fill up fast, especially in popular spots.
    Found the area quite easily, and a reasonable site was available. One further tip is - check around the camp/area before selecting a site, since there were a few better sites available. Our site was quite sandy and rocky. We put our ground cover down, which helped the situation.
    There were drop toilets available within walking distance, which was good. And the lower part of the camp, which was right next to the beach looked well organised with quite a few people who looked like they had been there for a while - 7 day max stay might be a bit stretched there.
    Spent the rest of the day driving around the area. First day of cloudy grey conditions and quite windy.
    Had coffee at a nearby cafe, in the middle of nowhere, but this was a gold plate winning cafe/restaurant - amazing to find that there.
    Did some walks along the beach. A nice area, and it would be magic with a good weather day.
    The van coped well with free camping, and we did not run out of battery power.
    So, all up, a successful first up free camping experience which gave us a lot more confidence in this aspect. Many more free camping episodes to come, no doubt.
    Read more