Satellite
  • Day 10

    Albany

    February 17, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Woke up to another grey overcast and cool day. First call of duty was a visit to the long drop toilets (smelly) and our time sitting there was made more interesting with the heightened anticipation of a bite on the bum at any stage.

    After a morning walk on the beach, we packed up ready to head to Albany.
    Short and easy drive and we had prebooked with Rose Garden caravan park at $38 per night for 2 nights. Much confusion with Site allocation due to people overstaying their booking but we got settled in a good site in the end. During the site shuffle around, front office obviously had more confidence in our reversing ability than was sensible, when they tried to get us onto an awkward battleax site. Once we had informed them of the error of their ways, they put us on a much easier to handle site.

    Drove to Albany for Fish and chip lunch, at multi award winning Ocean and Paddock shop. We can confirm that the awards were justified.

    We drove round to the Gap and Natural Bridge. Great experience, especially with the platform overlooking the Gap. Amazing to witness the power of the ocean against the rocks.

    We drove to the Blow Holes, but since they were a no show today, we did not walk all the way down.

    All of these attractions charged a fee, but our annual national parks pass was valid and we have already more than made up the purchase cost of $27.00 (with concessions).

    Back to town and a quick visit to IGA (the only shop open in Albany of Sunday)

    Bank to the park for a light supper and watched a bit of TV.

    On the second day of our stay, we popped about 500m down the road for a game of golf at the Albany golf course. This is a links course, right on the sea front, with some great views out over the harbour area. We had an enjoyable nine holes, with some of the holes having steepish sides sloping in to the middle of the fairway, which is the way I think all golf courses should be built. Certainly helped the score a little bit. The course was in great condition, and a recommendation from us.
    Spent the rest of the day around Albany and back at the park, relaxing. A walk down at the beach for a great sunset, before a quiet night.
    Overall, we enjoyed our time in Albany. Rose Garden caravan park is to be recommended, even if their site admin is a bit bonkers. Brand new ablution block and other facilities.
    Read more