Satellite
  • Day 7

    Delhi in 24 Hours

    February 21, 2019 in India ⋅ 🌫 16 °C

    Changes in our flights, and the Delhi traffic, meant that it was quite a rush. It was evening before we arrived, so we had only one full day to take in the sights, sounds (and, being India, smells) and atmosphere of a capital city of over 25 million people.

    We kicked off our tour of the city in Old Delhi, where we visited the Jama Masjid mosque, one of India’s largest and built by Shah Jahan of Taj Mahal fame. It was certainly extensive, and a complete contrast to the chaos in the old city outside.

    Then we immersed ourselves completely in the chaos on a rickshaw ride through the bedlam of the alleys of Chandni Chowk, the old market place.

    It was an exciting blur, as we weaved our way around, dodging carts loaded with just about anything, as well as people, cows and even a few monkeys. From time to time the driver would yell over his shoulder “Sari market” or “Spice market” or “Stationery market” but half the time we were too busy holding on and looking around to hear him properly.

    The afternoon was great, too. Among the highlights:

    Qutub Minar is a quite beautiful 73 metre high tower built in 1192 and in the midst of a number of other Islamic structures.

    Humayun’s Tomb was built for King Humayun by his grieving wife in 1570, and was the inspiration for the Taj Mahal. It also now houses Mrs Humayun and an assortment of other, lesser, Humayuns.

    For dinner we went to a restaurant called Indian Accent, one of Delhi’s finest, and for which we are grateful to Mike and Myra Smith for the recommendation and Steve for persevering with the booking process.

    It was, quite simply, the best Indian food we have ever had, and so unlike the typical suburban rogan josh we are used to it is a pity to call it by the same name!

    Our wonderful dinner over, we were straight off to bed as we were leaving for the airport at 5:30 am.

    Next, onward to Jaisalmer.
    Read more