Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Huéneja - La Calahorra 15km

    September 28, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    The arrows out of Huéneja were confusing: one set takes you to the albergue, the other leads you out of town. On the wall at Casa Violeta, there was a map, and I should have paid attention 😄

    Very soon after leaving Huéneja, we were walking on nice paths, winding our way through almond groves. Almond trees were the main scenery today.

    Two towns punctuated our walk. The first was Dólar. The church was open, so we went in. We also got our first stamp for the day. We're getting pretty good at getting stamps at Ayuntamientos.

    Over a hill and the next town was Ferreira. The arrows take you around town, which we found nice, but if you wanted to avoid walking around town there is a shortcut.

    Shortly after Ferreira, we saw almonds being harvested. The branches just get whacked with a big stick, and the almonds fall on a plastic sheet.

    We then crossed into Granada province, and the castle of La Calahorra appeared on the horizon.

    Before arriving at La Calahorra, we met a almond tree grower. We stopped and asked him how his harvest was going. Unfortunately, it wasn't good. There had been late frosts, and then the drought. He complained that he would sell his almonds 80 euro cents a kilo, but in the shops they were sold 3 to 4 euros for 200 grams.

    We were lucky today, as it is the only day of the week that the castle was open. So in the afternoon, we went up the path to the castle. The visits are guided, and my Spanish was put to the test, as our guide spoke very fast, and with an Andalusian accent. No photos allowed inside, unfortunately.

    We're staying at the Hospedería del Zenete. Very comfortable!
    Read more