Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 30

    Alcaudete to Luque (Baena) (20.4km)

    October 18, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 30 °C

    The Ayuntamiento was all lit up when we walked past this morning. And it was open, so we got a sello!

    The walk was nice, and leaving Alcaudete, we walked through more olive groves. At one stage, we arrived at the Carretera de Córdoba, the N-432, but we didn't have to walk long next to it, as the Camino then diverges off, once again amongst olive trees.

    It is on the carretera that we crossed into the province of Córdoba.

    By then the temperature was rising, and there was practically no shade. So the UV umbrella came out for Rachel.

    This stage is roughly 26km, and I had a plan B, should the heat be too much. I had planned to take a road from a point just after the Laguna del Salobral, and leave the Camino, heading towards the Antigua Estación de Luque, which is an easy place for a taxi to pick us up.

    It turns out that just before the decision point, we crossed the Via Verde. So we opted to follow that, knowing that there would be no traffic, and that any slopes would be gentle.

    We ended up at the Antigua Estación de Luque, which is now a restaurant, Nicols. The food was really good, which explained why the place was packed and we had to queue to get a table.

    After lunch, I called José María, a Baena taxi driver who knows Nely, and whose number is in the Asociación Jacobea guide.

    We're staying in a quaint casa, with half levels, in a quiet part of Baena behind the Castle. We even have a view of the castle!
    Read more