Satellite
  • Day 41

    Lake Havasu und der 4. Juli

    July 4, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 41 °C

    Okee. Welch surreale Welt. Wir sind auf dem Boot von Ryans Onkel Mike und genießen das erfrischende Nass bei über 40 Grad. Der See liegt mitten in der Wüste und die Stadt darum herum ist ein Ort für Boots- und Ferienhausbesitzer. Im Kanal, in welchem übrigens die alte London Bridge steht (Fun Facts with Ryan weiter unten), tummeln sich Boote neben Boote. Eines grösser als das andere mit crazy People oben drauf. Es wird gesoundet, getanzt und natürlich getrunken von morgens bis abends und das das ganze Wochenende lang. Proscht! ;)

    London Bridge
    This London Bridge was completed in 1831 as they replaced the old one which was too narrow.
    As time passed, the new bridge began sinking at the rate of an inch (3 cm) every eight years. By 1924, the east side of the bridge was some three to four inches (9-12 cm) lower than the west side. The bridge had not been designed to withstand 20th century automotive traffic.
    In 1967, the Common Council of the City of London began to look for potential buyers for the London Bridge. Lake Havasu City founder and entrepreneur Robert P. McCulloch placed the winning bid of $2,460,000.
    Each block was meticulously numbered before the bridge was disassembled. The blocks were then shipped overseas through the Panama Canal to California and trucked from Long Beach to Arizona. 
    Read more